Question about update logs

Dave Filchak dfilchak at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 18 15:36:01 IST 2004

After much screwing around (on my part at least) I finally appear to have
the update_virus_scanners script working with no permissions errors.
However, even though /tmp/ClamAV.update.log shows that the database is being
checked on an hourly basis with no errors, my logwatch email still says the
following:

-------------------- clam-update Begin ------------------------

WARNING: Database has not been checked for updates

---------------------- clam-update End -------------------------

I then realized that logwatch is only watching /var/log where the
freshclam.log file resides but which does not appear to be written to when
the update_virus_scanners script runs.

So, I am trying to figure out what the two log files that I apparently have
are doing and what process is writing to them. I have /tmp/ClamAV.update.log
which appears to be written to on an hourly basis
(/etc/cron.hourly/update_virus_scanners). I also have /var/log/freshclam.log
which appears to only be written to when I run freshclam manually.

Can someone clarify how this is supposed to work and what the relationship
of these two log files are? What I would like is if all the log files
resided in /var/log so that logwatch can keep me informed.

Cheers

Dave

David Filchak
President - Zuka Inc.