permissions

Dave Filchak dfilchak at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 16 16:24:26 IST 2004

Pardon me for being dull, and I have tried to figure this out by searching
the lists and archives but nothing seems to match my set up. I am still
struggling with update_virus_scanners permissions errors. I get these errors
a lot and the only way it seems to work is if I run freshclam -u root. My
crontab script always complains about permissions.

When I look in my maillog, I get a lot of the following:

Oct 13 23:01:00 rosewood update.virus.scanners: Delaying cron job up to 200
seconds
Oct 13 23:01:52 rosewood update.virus.scanners: Found clamav installed
Oct 13 23:01:52 rosewood update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for
clamav
Oct 13 23:01:53 rosewood ClamAV-autoupdate[16705]: ClamAV updater failed

When I run /etc/cron.daily/update_virus_scanners I get the following entry
into /tmp/ClamAV.update.log

ClamAV update process started at Sat Oct 16 11:05:24 2004
main.cvd is up to date (version: 27, sigs: 23982, f-level: 2, builder:
tomek)
ERROR: Can't open new file ./clamav-8b1fdc42829250a9 to write
ERROR: Can't download daily.cvd from 24.73.112.74

When I run /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-autoupdate I get the following:

ERROR: Can't open new file ./clamav-fcd0ab451ecd560f to write
open: Permission denied
ERROR: Can't download daily.cvd from 64.69.64.158

Obviously it is a permissions thing. However, what I do not understand
(tired brain) is where this error is originating from and how I can fix this
problem.

Currently, the machine is Red Hat 9, I am running Mail::ClamAV 0.11 with
MailScanner 4.34.4 and clamd / ClamAV version 0.75. My setup seems to be
writing two files to /tmp, a lock file and the actual update log:
ClamAVBusy.lock and ClamAV.update.log . Permissions for the
ClamAV.update.log are clamav:clamav however the lockfile is owned by root.
Wouldn't that stop the update script from writing to the log file? There is
nothing in the clamav users home directory.

If someone could just take the time to educate me as to how the update
process works, where the files are supposed to be written to and what
permissions, I would be sincerely appreciative. I am afraid that at the
present moment, the only way for me to update the virus patterns is
manually, and just will never do ;-).

Thanks in advance.

Dave