Speed Monitoring

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Oct 15 20:14:08 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 02:36 PM 10/15/2004, Boulytchev, Vasiliy wrote:
>Ladies and Gents,
>         After turning on Speed Logging in MailScanner.conf, I see lines
> such as:
>
>  Batch completed at 4648 bytes per second (1859342 / 400)
>
>I am translating this as :
>
>Batch completed at x bytes per second ( totalbytes / totalseconds)
>
>Am I correct to say that the entire batch was 1859342 bytes and it took
>400 seconds to scan it?

Yes, although IMO, that statistic is largely useless if SA is involved.

SA's scan time is much more a function of message count than of message
size, particularly if DNSBLs are enabled. Although it's actual timing is
really quite widely scattered it's certainly more correlated to the number
of messages in a batch than the size of the batch. Large body sizes
increase SA's scan time a bit, but that's usualy drown out by the time it
takes to do DNSBLs.

Also, bear in mind that the timing is done in whole-second increments and
the rounding makes for some hefty errors. (ie: if a batch is 5k in size,
even if it takes .1ms to scan it, it will be reported as 1 second and 5k/sec.)