NO_DNS_FOR_FROM

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu Oct 14 22:55:35 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 05:19 PM 10/14/2004, Alan wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:12:02 -0400, Matt Kettler <mkettler at EVI-INC.COM> wrote:
>
>Thanks for the continued help. Here is some more info.
>
> >I'm going to re-suggest trying the X-Envelope-From trick.
> >

>Did that, saw no difference. Below is the complete debug log after I
>manually ran a spam through spamassassin. You may note the header:
>
>I did find one of the debug messages you were hoping to see:
>"debug: X-Envelope-From header found after 1 or more Received lines, cannot
>trust envelope-from"

Yem, there's the no-trust statement. Grrr..

The Mailscanner hack doesn't help, unfortunately, because MailScanner
inserts it at the end of the headers, so SA won't trust it. Go ahead and
undo that MailScanner.conf change.

I did some digging in the SA code, a bit deeper this time. It looks like
you have one of two options:

Option 1 - Making SA recognize X-MailScaner-From:

First change the mailscanner from header back in MailScanner.conf.
         Envelope From Header = X-MailScanner-From:

Next make SA honor it in either local.cf or spam.assassin.prefs.conf:
         envelope_sender_header  X-MailScanner-From

Option 2 - Adding Return-Path headers via exim

It's a bit of a hack to do so on a relaying server, but it looks like your
NT box SMTP server software (EMWAC) is RFC unaware and doesn't add them
anyway, so that should be OK.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.10/doc/html/spec_14.html#SEC385

SA should honor Return-Path headers added by exim, because they should be
at the top.