Russian text and /etc/magic

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Thu Oct 14 16:29:12 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Julian,

You once mentioned modifying /etc/magic in order to get around certain
output from `file` when doing filetype checking.

In the past, I've had a problem with Russian text being reported as an
executable.  The output from `file` on the quarantined attachments
(msg-xxx.txt) is:

# file msg-22359-130.txt
msg-22359-130.txt:      DOS executable (COM)

I've changed /etc/magic:

< 0     byte            0xe9            DOS executable (COM)
---
 > 0     byte            0xe9            DOS executable (COM) RUSSIAN
TEXT MAILSCANNER

And then added an "allow" rule in filetype.rules.conf.  This all works
as I would like.

My question is how safe is this?  I have gone through every file I have
in quarantine and only see the "DOS executable (COM)" output for those
with Russian text.  Other executables report as "... (EXE)"

If anyone is bored, would you mind running `file` on all of your files
in quarantine and let me know if any of them show "DOS executable (COM)"
as the output?  Here are the commands I used (for Sendmail users):

$ cd /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
$ find 2004*/i* -ls | grep -v [dq]f | grep [a-zA-Z]$ | awk '{print $11}'
| while read i ; do file $i; done | grep COM

Thanks,

Dustin
--
Dustin Baer