Maybe OT - postfix and catch-all accounts

Brian Parish clicknow at SWIFTDSL.COM.AU
Tue Oct 12 11:15:27 IST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 19:10, Drew Marshall wrote:
> On Mon, October 11, 2004 23:50, Brian Parish said:
> > This could be a purely postfix issue, so apologies if it's a bit OT here.
> >
> > One of the domains I host requires a catch-all mail account - yes, I
> > know - spam collector.  I understand that the way this is done is to
> > put:
> >
> > @domain mailbox
> >
> > in /etc/postfix/virtual then postmap virtual
> >
> > But I find with this defined that some properly defined addresses for
> > other domains end up having their mail directed to the catch-all.  I
> > can't work out a pattern, but monitoring shows an incoming message to:
> >
> > valid-address at valid-domain being scanned by MailScanner, found clean and
> > directed to the catch-all.  Other addresses in the same domain work
> > correctly.
> >
> > By commenting out the catch-all account and running postmap again, these
> > addresses work correctly without other alteration.
> >
> > Have I found a bug or a feature I don't understand?
> >
> What is the order that you have listed the addesses in
> /etc/postfix/virtual? Postfix does work on a first match basis.
>
> Drew

Thanks Drew,

But it is the last entry in virtual.  Do you (or anyone else) know if
this is supposed to work for each domain?  i.e. Should I theoretically
be able to have a:

@domain  mailbox

line at the end of each set of addresses?  The question is a bit
academic right now as it screws up with just one.  I assume however
that:

addr at domain1  mailbox1
@domain1  catchall1

addr at domain2  mailbox2