Maybe OT - postfix and catch-all accounts

Michele Neylon : Blacknight Solutions michele at BLACKNIGHTSOLUTIONS.COM
Mon Oct 11 23:56:39 IST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 08:50 +1000, Brian Parish wrote:
> This could be a purely postfix issue, so apologies if it's a bit OT here.
>
> One of the domains I host requires a catch-all mail account - yes, I
> know - spam collector.  I understand that the way this is done is to
> put:
>
> @domain mailbox
>
> in /etc/postfix/virtual then postmap virtual
>
> But I find with this defined that some properly defined addresses for
> other domains end up having their mail directed to the catch-all.  I
> can't work out a pattern, but monitoring shows an incoming message to:
>
> valid-address at valid-domain being scanned by MailScanner, found clean and
> directed to the catch-all.  Other addresses in the same domain work
> correctly.
>
> By commenting out the catch-all account and running postmap again, these
> addresses work correctly without other alteration.
>
> Have I found a bug or a feature I don't understand?
>
> TIA
> Brian
It sounds like you are doing something wrong :)
I run postfix on a uml for a limited number of domains and one of them
has a catchall.
In main.cf:
virtual_alias_domains = domain1 domain2
In virtual