mailscanner defunct

Andrew andrew at DONEHUE.NET
Sun Oct 10 03:49:28 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi All!

I have been using mailscanner for a few years now, and it is going
well.  I recently setup a Debian system, and used mailscanner from the
testing tree (as well as exim4.x).  All works well, except for the fact
that after the email is delivered, the mailscanner process becomes
'defunct'.  I have a cron script in to restart it every 10 mins (to get
rid of the defunct processes) - but it isn't the prettiest way to go
about things.

I have run mailscanner in debug mode, and it works fine - no errors,
etc.  Everything is working (email gets scanned for infections, spam,
and it gets delivered), except I get a lot of extra left over processes :(

I found this in my  mail.err log file -
Cannot create + lock headers file
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/32759/1CGR2j-0000BL-6l.header,

However, the permissions and ownership are correct - are there any other
known issues that could be causing this?

Some system info -

#uname -r
2.4.27b

#dpkg -p mailscanner
Package: mailscanner
Section: mail
Installed-Size: 4352
Maintainer: Matthias Klose <doko at debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 4.33.3-1
Depends: exim4 | mail-transport-agent, spamassassin (>= 2.11), unzip,
ncftp | wget, ucf (>= 1.08), perl (>= 5.6.1), libarchive-zip-perl (>=
1.12), libconvert-tnef-perl, libhtml-parser-perl, libmime-perl (>=
5.411-2), libnet-cidr-perl, libcompress-zlib-perl (>= 1.33),
libconvert-binhex-perl
Pre-Depends: debconf (>= 0.5.00)
Recommends: tnef (>= 1.1.1)
Suggests: clamav, f-prot-installer, libnet-ldap-perl
Conflicts: exim4-base (<< 4.30-3)
Filename: pool/main/m/mailscanner/mailscanner_3.13.2-4_all.deb
Size: 816514
MD5sum: 02a110f8cff5f2576a67608795d4429a

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Andrew