MIME::Base64 rpm problems

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Oct 9 16:22:08 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 14:48 09/10/2004, you wrote:
>On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Julian Field wrote:
>
> > In the construction of the MIME::Base64 module, there is a test to see if
> > you are running Perl 5.8.0 or newer. If you are, it tries to install over
> > the top of the Perl-supplied files, instead of installing separately in the
> > site_perl directory like other people do.
> >
> > So on any system older than Perl 5.8.0, it works fine. But run it on 5.8.0
> > or above and the installation overwrites the Perl-supplied files, which
> > causes all the RPM problems.
>
><snip>
>
>That is the problem. I just finished updating a RHEL 3 U3 server.
>
>I shutdown MailScanner, and did a rpm -e perl-MIME-Base64 to fix the
>dependency problem and get up2ate to run. After up2date finished, I forced
>perl-MIME-Base64 back in.
>
>up2date now complains about a package conflict error on perl-5.8.0-88.7,
>saying the package is alrady installed.

There is a way of stopping these errors, but I don't know what the
consequences are. The way to stop it is to edit the Makefile.PL so that the
end of it refers to 'site' and not 'perl' (you'll see the bit I mean). Then
rebuild and reinstall the perl module with the usual steps.
This will make it install in site_perl rather than inside the main
/usr/lib/perl5 directory.

But, as I say, I don't know the consequences of this. I am trying to find
out why this is done. It's in the ChangeLog for this module, but no reason
is given for the change.
--
Julian Field