MIME::Base64 rpm problems

Richard Potter rpotter at RPCS.NET
Sat Oct 9 14:48:37 IST 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Julian Field wrote:

> In the construction of the MIME::Base64 module, there is a test to see if
> you are running Perl 5.8.0 or newer. If you are, it tries to install over
> the top of the Perl-supplied files, instead of installing separately in the
> site_perl directory like other people do.
>
> So on any system older than Perl 5.8.0, it works fine. But run it on 5.8.0
> or above and the installation overwrites the Perl-supplied files, which
> causes all the RPM problems.

<snip>

That is the problem. I just finished updating a RHEL 3 U3 server.

I shutdown MailScanner, and did a rpm -e perl-MIME-Base64 to fix the
dependency problem and get up2ate to run. After up2date finished, I forced
perl-MIME-Base64 back in.

up2date now complains about a package conflict error on perl-5.8.0-88.7,
saying the package is alrady installed.

Cheers!
--
Richard Potter RHCE