QuarantineReport

My BSD MyBSD at comcast.net
Sat Oct 9 12:13:02 IST 2004

On Fri, October 8, 2004 4:52 pm, Devon Harding said:
> I think this should be incorporated into the next release of
> MailScanner.  Very important function that helps with false positives.
>

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:48:40 -0400, Steve Swaney <steve.swaney at fsl.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have finished the INSTALL documentation for QuarantineReport. The
>> application and the documentation may be downloaded from:
>>
>>         http://www.fsl.com/support
>>
>> QuarantineReport is a small application that's intended to:
>>
>> * Create a daily report for each user who has messages in MailScanner
>>     Quarantine
>> * Quarantine Create a web link to view the message in Quarantine
>> * Provide a link to allow the user to release the message from
>> Quarantine
>> * Email the report to the user
>>
>> The report will contain this information for each message in Quarantine:
>>
>>         From: address_of_sender
>>         Subject: subject_of message
>>         Link_to_View
>>         Link_to_Release
>>
>> The application can also verify that recipient is a valid user by
>> checking a
>> file or performing an LDAP search.
>>
>> While these script are supplied as unsupported software. Please email me
>> off
>> list if you find errors or have problems.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> Steve Swaney
>> President
>> Fortress Systems Ltd.
>> www.fsl.com
>> steve.swaney at fsl.com
>>
>> --
>> believed to be clean.
>>
>> Fortress Systems Ltd.
>> www.fsl.com

With all due respect to the authors (unless I am missing something very
basic), these scripts, although they work as advertised (after some
tweaking) and very "cool", can also be very dangerous if improperly used.

There does not seem to be a way to "lock" quarantine messages that are
both spam and virus infected.  An unwitting user could release an infected
message from the quarantine to him/herself with possibly resulting dire
consequences.

So unless this "feature" can be disabled (or a warning message included in
the distribution) they should not be incorporated into SA.

--
My