Bayes rebuild

Sylvain Phaneuf sylvain.phaneuf at IMSU.OXFORD.AC.UK
Fri Oct 8 12:07:57 IST 2004

Can you confirm your last paragraph please?   bayes_auto_expire 0 cannot
be don in spam.asssassin.prefs.conf anymore?

Sylvain

Sylvain Phaneuf --- Systems Manager   | phone : +44 (0)1865 221323
Clinical School Information Management Services Unit  (IMSU)
Medical Sciences Division
University of Oxford                                  |   email :
sylvain.phaneuf at imsu.ox.ac.uk
Room 3A25B John Radcliffe Hospital      |   fax :  +44 (0) 1865 221322
Oxford   OX3 9DU   England

At 12:45 PM 10/6/2004, Dean Jones wrote:
>Should i do the Bayes rebuild from within MailScanner.conf or should
>do it seperately from cron?

Either works. I generally do both, and treat the cronjob as a backup
measure. However, at Julian's request I've been running without the
cronjob
to verify it also performs expiry when needed, and it does.

>How often should Bayes be rebuilt?

Daily, give or take a bit depending on your preference. I've done it
every
hour as well, but that's really just a matter of how loaded your system
is.

The rebuild will also force any journaling to sync, so if you're using
SA's
bayes_learn_to_journal option you'll probably want to do it more
frequently
so that the autolearn data gets folded back into the live bayes DB
more
frequently. I'd say at least twice a day here.

I'd also advise disabling bayes autoexpire in your local.cf (can't do
it in
spam.asssassin.prefs.conf).
         bayes_auto_expire 0