The Party Line on Bayes settings?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Wed Oct 6 17:59:13 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Julian et. al,

Could you say a few words about the recommended settings for using
Bayes with SA 3.0 and the latest MailScanner?  I had the common
problem of bayes_toks.expire files piling up after upgrading to
SA 3.0.  I read thru the FAQ on Bayes lock files
(http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/303.html)
and followed this advice.  I used to have (with MS 4.33 and SA 2.64)
Rebuild Bayes Every = 86400, but I now use the factory default of
zero.  I have a cron job that runs the attached shell script once
a day, to learn spam/ham and do the force-expire/sync, which came
out of list posting months ago.

I'm getting to the point where I'm really wondering if I'm doing
Bayes correctly any more.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Maybe
Julian's wisdom on this could make it to the MAQ?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College