MailScanner-MRTG new STABLE release

Kevin Spicer kevin at KEVINSPICER.CO.UK
Wed Oct 6 09:10:28 IST 2004

This stable release is a recommended upgrade for anyone running releases
prior to v0.09.03 (users of 0.09.03 need not upgrade as it is
functionally identical to this release, the only difference being a
single cosmetic change - a link to subscribe to this list!).

On a personal note, I will be away on honeymoon for two weeks from this
weekend, and I don't think my wife will take kindly to me slipping off
to read my email. Please accept my apologies in advance if I'm not able
to deal with any support issues in a timely manner.

Please note that there are some changes in the config file on this
release. The recomended way to upgrade the config file is by using
upgrade_MailScanner_conf. For example on an rpm based system...

$ cd /etc/MailScanner
$ upgrade_MailScanner_conf mailscanner-mrtg.conf
mailscanner-mrtg.conf.rpmnew > mailscanner-mrtg.conf.new
$ mv mailscanner-mrtg.conf mailscanner-mrtg.conf.old
$ mv mailscanner-mrtg.conf.new mailscanner-mrtg.conf

New features and improvements since the 0.08 branch include the
following...
*Implementation of a timeout on data collection runs, to reduce impact
on heavily laden systems
*New way of counting quarantine files, to make it quicker and less
resource intensive
*Support for multiple quarantine and queue directories
*Quarantine counts messages as well as files
*Two new graphs. Batch Size and Processing Speed
*Logging to syslog
*Added helpful descriptions to the graphs
*Now will not attempt to restart MailScanner if MailScanner was shut
down using its init script.
*More flexible way of dealing with all the various names MTA's use when
logging

Important fixes include....
*Fix spam ratio to work properly for people using RBL's in their MTA
*Fix the Load average graph to show loads higher than 4, rather than
clipping.

See the full changelog for details of other fixes.