SA 3.0, SURBL problem: fix for Solaris

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Sun Oct 3 03:13:11 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Gang,

Building on the fine efforts of others on the list, I discovered
that SURBL for SA 3.0 started working for me if I tracked down
the init.pre file (installed in /etc/opt/mail/spamassassin in my
case, hunh??) and copied it to /etc/mail/spamassasin.  Many thanks
to Scott Silva and Richard Potter for this important clue.

BUT YOU WILL GET BURNED IF YOU STOP HERE!

The FQDN bug in Sys-Hostname-Long-1.2 will rename your mail server
the nanosecond that SA invokes the URIDNSBL plugin, thereby screwing
up your email delivery and causing MailScanner to hang thereafter.
Bad news.  See:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FqdnError

My ugly fix to Sys-Hostname-Long-1.2 to solve this problem:  I edited
Long.pm in this code and removed all references to "--fqdn".  I did
this in my actual perl source tree
(/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.5/Sys/Hostname/Long.pm).  Maybe I should
have done this to the code, rebuilt, and reinstalled.  Solved this
nasty problem for the moment, and got SURBL working too.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College