Delaying cron job for up to 600 seconds?

Joe Smith joey at JOESMITH.NET
Sat Oct 2 16:53:10 IST 2004

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Michael Freeman wrote:

> update.virus.scanners: Delaying cron job up to 600 seconds
>

> I contantly see this message on one of my boxes? Why? Why would the job be
> delayed?

There is a random delay inserted with the update process.. this helps
prevent everyone from updating at the same time and hammering the update
servers with traffic.

If you study the code a bit,  you will find where you can modify this
delay or remove it completely depending on your needs.    I typically
leave it in place but change it to 0 sometimes for debugging.

On a RedHat or derivative linux system you can modify this value in
/etc/sysconfig/MailScanner.

Have fun!