Help! - MailScanner ceased working (debug output)

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Fri Nov 26 18:52:05 GMT 2004

Peter Bonivart wrote:

> Drew Marshall wrote:
>
>> Peter Bonivart wrote:
>>
>>> Disable AWL with "use_auto_whitelist 0" in local.cf
>>

>> Just out of interest, why? I had it disabled in SA2.6x but I have used
>> it SA3.x (Just 'cause it was on).
>

> I was under the impression that it was designed to be run by separate
> users, like with procmail and that running all mail with a single user
> (root)  would mess it up. I may be completely wrong about that but I
> read several times about not using it with SA2 so I didn't think any
> different about SA3. When I upgraded to SA3 it was on from the beginning
> and it immediately started giving negative scores to spam so I disabled
> it and never looked back.
>
> How is it working for you? Are the results what you expect?

I've had no problems with it at all. I too read several times about not
using it in SA2 so turned it off. When SA3 came out I *thought* I saw a
post from Julian suggesting that the code had been 'fixed' and he was
going to try it. Being the sheep that I am I too thought that I would
give it a go. Does it make much/ any difference? Well I'm not sure.
Certainly spam is not caught any more or less effectively than
previously. The only thing I do notice is that AWL locking seems to be
by auto-whitelist.mutex which concerns me as I don't want auto expiry to
fail because of it. Be interesting to see if any one else has an opinions.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy