OT: Delete Old Email

David While David.While at UCE.AC.UK
Fri Nov 26 09:32:10 GMT 2004

Are you looking for something like archmbox? See
http://adc-archmbox.sourceforge.net/

This allows you to delete messages from mailboxes based on certain
criteria. I use it to remove any messages over 30 days old from people's
mailboxes as they should have downloaded them by then.
David While BSc CEng MBCS CITP
Technical Development Manager
School of Computing & Information
University of Central England
Tel: 0121 331 6211

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Steen, Glenn
Sent: 25 November 2004 16:02
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: OT: Delete Old Email

Hi Steve,

> Behalf Of Steve Evans

> Currently I send all spam to a local mailbox and then I retrieve them
> via pop.  What I'd like to do is have a shell script delete mail over
> n days.  Anyone know how to do this?  The only thing I could think of
> was to roll the mbox file like you would logs.  But that seems messy
if
> you ever have to retrieve something via pop3.

Hm, why do you do that? Anything wrong with storing them (employing the
"forward to /dev/null to get virus scanning too" thing) so that your
problem becomes a simple shellscript to maintain the quarantine instead?

I'm sure one could cook something up with formail/procmail too, or use
a maildir-based MUA and some not to trivial script, but it'd be simpler
just use the quarantine instead of reinventing it in a "pop guise";-).

-- Glenn