Phishing Detection

Gerry Doris gdoris at ROGERS.COM
Wed Nov 24 00:32:43 GMT 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Michael Baird wrote:

> I just upgraded from 4.33.5 to 4.36.1, in the hopes of picking up the
> phishing detection. I'm trying to determine if it is working or not. I
> have not been able to find any references in any of my mailservers logs
> to "Phish" or "phish", other then the Found the Phish-BankFraud.eml
> trojan, which was being detected before I upgraded.
>
> I'm wondering what specifically should be logged to my maillog, when a
> Phishing attack is spotted, where it gets the verbage for this, and if
> Phishing detection depends on any other features in MailScanner being
> enabled, like file checks.
>
> Regards
> Michael Baird

I just searched my /var/log/maillog and came up with several "phish"
attempts.  Actually, I believe most of them are not malicious but just
redirection to other company servers.  The New York Times is one and the
Intel news letter always trigers a phishing attempt.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer