SOBER-I

Vlad Mazek vlad at MAZEK.COM
Tue Nov 23 20:23:52 GMT 2004

>Does anyone know of a better way to block this without having to block
>our secondary mail server?
>Is it a performance tuning issue? We are using MailScanner 4.35.11 and
>Sophos AV, not SAVI, and SA 3.0.1.

We provide a lot of ETRN/ATRN servers and here is what we advise our
customers to do: Never place ETRN server as the lowest priority MX for
your domain. Most spammers will target the ETRN server as it usually
blindly accepts mail. Instead place the ETRN server in the middle, for
example:

in   mx   10   mail.mazek.com.
in   mx   50   etrn.myisp.com.
in   mx   100   etrn.mazek.com.

where mail.mazek.com and etrn.mazek.com are the exact same server.

This way you take the the ETRN server out of the loop unless your T1
goes down in which case mail will go to your ETRN server.

Hope that helps.

-Vlad Mazek