SOBER-I

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Tue Nov 23 20:04:48 GMT 2004

Alan Cragg - Lists wrote:

> Does anyone know of a better way to block this without having to block
> our secondary mail server?
> Is it a performance tuning issue? We are using MailScanner 4.35.11 and
> Sophos AV, not SAVI, and SA 3.0.1.

Had a similar situation a while back.  Instead of blocking my secondary, I
used the access table in it's sendmail to drop inbound connections from the
offending IP.  That way, I could continue to receive valid email on the
secondary from elsewhere but not plug the queues with virus laden emails.  I
had the advantage, of course, of owning our secondary.

Do you have shell access to the secondary?  If not, I'd try to get your ISP
to block that address.

I also notified the sender's ISP so they could notify the owner of the
infected machine.

Good luck...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500