Postfix, mailwatch and queue IDs (and of course mailscanner:-)

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Thu Nov 18 17:47:32 GMT 2004

Hi Julian,

Thank you for replying. Steve already alerted me there are some ...
issues ... between you and the postfix crowd, so... I really appreciate
that you take the time to at least look/respond.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get any funding from the company (well,
.gov actually:), the PHB being a bit ... tightfisted... He might spring
for the book, but... Might depend a bit on your rates too. I'll see what
I can do though.
If I find a moment I might take a crack at it myself. In the mean time
I'm setting up a "stupid partitioned" server, that'll replace the old
one come monday, with everything in one big partition... This should
make the reuse far less likely to happen, and might even be a "good
enough" solution.
Next I'll probably be looking at how hard it could be to make MW able to
work with the queue files in the quarantine (thus preserving inode, thus
preventing the very slight risk of quarantine corruption).

I think I can explain why it's never been talked about before:
I suspect none (running Postfix at least:-) ever was dumb enough to make
/var/spool separate from /var, so the problem was never noticed... But
when you get the percentage I get, it's pretty obvious _something_ is
wrong:-). It wasn't that difficult to find out why, once I had a look at
the MW (and to some extent the MS) code... And read some postfix docs
_carefully_:-).

Even before I knew about the ... issues... I sort of had gathered that
MS wasn't the "one true postfix way" at least not according to
postfix.org. Sort of had the same thought (diverse flying critters and
all:).

-- Glenn