Postfix, mailwatch and queue IDs (and of course mailscanner:-)

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Thu Nov 18 16:51:34 GMT 2004

Hi all...

I gather from the gigantic shrug I'm getting here (how else to interpret
... silence:-) that noone has a good handle on how to "improve" the
situation regarding duplicates in sql-logs (and possible quarantine
corruption) when using some such log feature with MS, due to postfix
reusing queue IDs (the quarantine is in danger when using systems like
MailWatch, which will not preserve the queue file inode (number)...
Sure, it's a slim window, but it could happen).

One could of course try to "work around" this in the "logging subsytem"
(MailWatch in my case), but.. I dunno, it feels like it's better to do
closer to the source:-).

Why not ask the postfix people to "fix it"? Well, I'm guessing one will
get even less response (if that's possible:-) from then, and then
probably just a pointer to amavisd-new.

Sure, for MailScanner it's not a central problem, but... Well, my PHB
likes what he can see in MW (that's what sold him on MS...:), and when
he starts to see the duplicates on a more ... regular basis... Suffice
it to say that it gets to be my problem then:-).

Or has this been discussed in depth already? I couldn't find mention of
it in the list archive...

Any feedback would be welcome.

-- Glenn