Antivir founds a new Trojan..other virus-scanners do not

Marcel Blenkers marcel-ml at IRC-ADDICTS.DE
Wed Nov 17 16:01:43 GMT 2004

Hi there,

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Jan-Peter Koopmann wrote:

> > just for you all to know..
> >
> > there is a new Trojan in Germany spreading around..
> >
> > It is called
> >
> > TR/Pish.Telekom.A
>
> Yep. Unfortunatly thats very true. We had problems with this as well.
> Please note though that the mail itself does not contain the Trojan. It
> is a Phishing-Style mail that requests the user to open a link. If you
> do in IE the webpage uses some "old" IE vulnerabilities to download the
> trojan in the background. Local virus scanners detect that vulnerability
> (Microsoft VM problem), at least eTrust did here.

Yes..it is a html-mail, opening a frame, which then installs the trojan.

> So technically it is "ok" for the other virus scanners not to detect
> this, since it is "only" a mail message....

But some users do use a webinterface via IE..and this would get very
boring..as only Antivir and Sophos seems to know this stuff.. :(

Haven´t tried on my Windows-Maschine with AVG or Norton..maybe i shoud
start this OS again ;)

Greetings

Marcel