Problem with ClamAVmodule

Richard Lynch rich at MAIL.WVNET.EDU
Wed Nov 17 14:43:45 GMT 2004

Julian Field wrote:

>You have found a bug, but I'm not sure it is easy to work around.
>You need to set
>Allow Password-Protected Archives = yes
>and not use a ruleset. I allow a ruleset as this is only the case when using
>the "clamavmodule" virus scanner. I guess I should put a check in there to
>ensure that this is a simple value when using clamavmodule.

I see.  You're testing the value of "Allow Password-Protected Archives"
which returns "0" since it's not "yes" (i.e. it's a file reference), and
it passes the "Mail::ClamAV::CL_SCAN_BLOCKENCRYPTED()" parameter to
Mail::ClamAV.

Solving this is problematic.  What about adding a user supplied option
list for Mail::ClamAV in MailScanner.conf?  Then, you could make the
call without making the test on "allowpasszips".  Something like...

$results = $Clam->scan("$dirname/$childname/$filename",
           Mail::ClamAV::CL_SCAN_ARCHIVE() |
           MailScanner::Config::Value('clammodopt') |
           Mail::ClamAV::CL_SCAN_OLE2());

Then users could specify the CL_SCAN_BLOCKENCRYPTED option if they want it.  Or perhaps, don't pass the option at all since MS provides that facility on its own anyway.

Just a couple of suggestions off the top of my head -- you know better than I.  In my case I'm forced to abandon clamavmodule since I need the ability to control who can receive password protected zips.  Just using clamav works fine, I'm only using clamavmodule because of the better performance.

Thanks for clearing up what was happening.  I very much appreciate all
your efforts and it won't bother me too much if I have to quit using
clamavmodule.  It's nothing major.

Thanks,
Rich