German Word/Excel Spam

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon Nov 15 20:06:09 GMT 2004

At 11:37 AM 11/15/2004, Billy Pumphrey wrote:
>Speaking of ebay.  Anyone getting the spam, looks real, about updating your
>ebay information along with paypal/credit card and so forth?

Yes.. Tons of them, and they aren't new. Other popular targets are
citibank, and MBNA (major credit card providers).

This scam tactic is called Phishing, and it's been so heavily covered in
the media it's not really worth covering here. A little googling should
turn up tons of information. I got 1,360 hits in google news and 10k in
google groups (although only 875 of these remain after "duplicate"
elimination).

Some quick random selections
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/buyerbeware/3907225/detail.html

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/technology/10073280.htm?1c

http://www.nationnews.com/StoryView.cfm?Record=54648&Section=LO

There's even a very good security whitepaper on the subject published. 42
pages long:

http://www.nextgenss.com/papers/NISR-WP-Phishing.pdf