Never getting URIBL_PH_SURBL hits

David Hooton david.hooton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 12:39:52 GMT 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:08:12 +0000, Julian Field
<mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> But I never get a hit on URIBL_PH_SURBL (the anti-phishing list).
>
> Everything seems absolutely fine and hunky-dory, all the other SURBLs work
> as expected, but I never get a URIBL_PH_SURBL hit.
>
> Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Strangely enough, I may be of assistance here :)

Phishing is one of the more geographically specific versions of
spam/virii that I've ever seen.  Phishes are becoming increasingly
better geographically targeted as time goes by, so to be effective in
blocking them you need as large of a catchment area as you can
possibly get your hands on.

The PH list is currently relying on submitted and intercepted messages
from only a few locations in the world.  We're trying to develop a
wider catchment for this data, however some of the better collection
sources are proving quite difficult to gain data feeds from.

The PH list has been fairly heavily tilted toward an Australian view
of the Internet because that's where we have our main collection
points.  We are very keen however to gain a more holistic view of the
internet.

If anyone is willing to contribute, please either forward your
messages to postmaster @ corp.mailsecurity.net.au or contact me
directly so we can discuss how you can help.
--
Kind Regards,

David Hooton