off topic: email forwarding assistance/guidance needed

lester lasad llasad1 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 11 21:49:12 GMT 2004

--- Mike Kercher <mike at CAMAROSS.NET> wrote:

> lester lasad wrote:
> > --- "H.P. Noordam" <bno at SALVAGEBV.NL> wrote:
> >
> >> MailScanner mailing list
> >> <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK> wrote on 10/11/2004
> >> 16:47:01:

> to 2
> have
> have
> the abc.com and

> use both addresses at
> for both addresses
> receives an email I would
> lester at abc.com (instead of the
> >> domain
> rid of
> host

> please ask
> assistance.
> >>>

> >> the virtusertable (/etc/mail/virtusertable)
> enables you to map single
> >> users or complete domains to other recipients, so
> >> thats is the place to
> >> map *@xyz to *@abc.
> >>
> >> Bob.
> >>
> > Thanks for the info.  I did try to forward one
> > particular users email unsuccessfully and  wanted
> > give you more specifics on my setup.
> >
> > my mailertable says the following:
> > abc.com    esmtp:abcmailsvr.abc.com
> > xyz.com    esmtp:xyzmailsvr.xyz.com
> >
> > I added the following to the
> /etc/mail/virtusertable:
> > lester at xyz.com      lester at abc.com  (which should
> send
> > the email to lester at abc.com)
> >
> > I then tried to send an email to lester at xyz.com
> and
> > received the following:
> > ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
> > errors -----
> > <lester at xyz.com>
> >     (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error)
> >
> >    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> > 553 5.3.5 xyzmailsvr.xyz.com. config error: mail
> loops
> > back to me (MX
> > problem?)
> > 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error
> >
> > I must be missing something.  thanks.
> >

> Do you have abc.com and xyz.com in your
> /etc/mail/local-host-names or
> /etc/mail/relay-domains?  They should be in
> relay-domains.  Also, make sure
> you hashed your virtusertable to db.
>
> You will need to restart sendmail to read the
> relay-domains after
> modification.
>
> Mike

abc.com and xyz.com are not in
/etc/mail/local-host-names.  But, they are in
/etc/mail/relay-domains

forgive me, but I'm not sure what you mean by "make
sure you hashed your virtusertable to db"

I have restarted sendmail as well.  When I send the
email it is still routing to the xyz.com host and not
the abc.com host.  I want to take the xyz.com host out
of the picture.  Should I remove it from my
mailertable and see what happens?