Issue with outlook messages decode

Justin Cain jcain at CSPACEINTERACTIVE.COM
Thu Nov 11 22:25:17 GMT 2004

All,

Having a problem with mailscanner decoding of messages sent form
microsoft clients sending rich text or HTML. I have tried turning off the
TNEF expander and also setting mailscanner to deliver the unparsable
TNEF. I have also tried both the internal perl module and the external
executable. After a little more digging I'm thinking that the problem
occurs before the TNEF even gets kicked off.   It appears that the MIME
Decoder module is having a problem initializing the QuotedPrint object
when and HTML or Rich text email is recieved from a MS client (plain text
are fine) also HTML/richtext from evolution is fine. The following error
appears in the maillog.

Cannot parse /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/7895/4636B211F42.header and
, Can't locate object method "init" v\
ia package "MIME::Decoder::QuotedPrint" at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/MIME/Decoder.pm line 179.

I have noticed that there is more than one QuotedPrint perl module on the
box, I not really a perl guy so I not sure how all this effects things

 locate QuotedPrint
/usr/share/man/man3/PerlIO::via::QuotedPrint.3pm.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/MIME::QuotedPrint.3pm.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/MIME::Decoder::QuotedPrint.3pm.gz
/usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/MIME/QuotedPrint.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/PerlIO/via/QuotedPrint.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/MIME/QuotedPrint.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/MIME/Decoder/QuotedPrint.pm

System info

SMP x86_64 running fedora core 3
perl 5.8.5
mailscanner-4.35.11-1 (rpm install)