OT - Real OT - Firewall suggestion

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Nov 11 16:42:48 GMT 2004

This is real OT, so I'll understand if no one even reads this.

Apparently, someone or something has decided to pick on us here over the
last two days. We have gateways defined as our MX records which relay to our
mail server boxes. Someone/thing has decided to circumvent the MX records
and try the sendmail boxes directly.

My firewall blocks all of this, so there is no worries there, but it sure is
wasting a lot of bandwidth. I would like to hear any suggestions on what may
have been done to slow this down, or any other nifty things that may help. I
use IPTABLES as a firewall.

Unfortunately, the gateways are outside the firewall, so they are being beat
up pretty bad. I can't move these inside (not my decision). I also don't
manage the gateways, so....

Sorry for the OT, just wanting to find some little tricks to make these
people pay a little for their efforts.
Thanks, as always.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com