Weirdness with 'Install-Clam-SA'...

Peter Bates Peter.Bates at LSHTM.AC.UK
Thu Nov 11 16:13:25 GMT 2004

Hello all...

Keen as I am on nicely packaged software, I'm a big fan of the
'Install-Clam-SA' combo...

I'd previously used it on a box running RH AS 3 after installing
MailScanner 4.32...

Today I thought I'd swiftly upgrade to MS 4.35, and also use
'Install-Clam-SA' as I'm using Clam... and also thought I could enable
SpamAssassin after that.

A few things I observed, which I just thought I'd pass on as they might
just be logic errors in the RPM install shell-script...

Clam moved from 0.75 to 0.80 happily. However, Perl-Inline was not
rebuilt (I'm guessing I installed it via CPAN, so there was no RPM to
test for), so Mail-ClamAV was not installed (or updated in this case),
so MS coughed on restarting.
Manually doing a 'rpmbuild --rebuild' for Perl-Inline was okay, but
this was a bit odd.

Similarly, perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0 was there, so a test to install
3.0.1 failed...

And finally perl-Net-DNS 0.48 (which SA 3.x prefers) wasn't built at
all, so again I had to fall back to 'rpmbuild'.

As I said, just thought I'd pass this on, if anything it demonstrates
what a Frankenstein system you can end up with if some things have been
installed via CPAN (or hand), and others exist as tidy RPM packages...