off topic: email forwarding assistance/guidance needed

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Wed Nov 10 18:58:17 GMT 2004

lester lasad wrote:
> --- "H.P. Noordam" <bno at SALVAGEBV.NL> wrote:
>
>> MailScanner mailing list
>> <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK> wrote on 10/11/2004
>> 16:47:01:
>>
>>> My MailScanner/Sendmail server is relaying email to 2
>>> seperate domains.  A majority of my users (3000) have
>>> email accounts in the "abc.com" domain, but we have
>>> roughly 40 users that have an account in both the abc.com and
>>> xyz.com domains.
>>>
>>> The 40 isers in the abc.com and xyz.com domain use both addresses at
>>> this point but, I would like to deliver emails for both addresses
>>> to one domain. example:  if lester at xyz.com receives an email I would
>>> like sendmail to route the email to lester at abc.com (instead of the
>>> xyz.com address).  The xyz.com
>> domain
>>> will be obsolete in the future but I can't get rid of
>>> it yet but I would like to eliminate the xyz.com host
>>> that sendmail is relaying to.
>>>
>>> Hopefully what I said makes sense, if not, please ask
>>> for additional info.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>>>

>> the virtusertable (/etc/mail/virtusertable) enables you to map single
>> users or complete domains to other recipients, so
>> thats is the place to
>> map *@xyz to *@abc.
>>
>> Bob.
>>
> Thanks for the info.  I did try to forward one
> particular users email unsuccessfully and  wanted to
> give you more specifics on my setup.
>
> my mailertable says the following:
> abc.com    esmtp:abcmailsvr.abc.com
> xyz.com    esmtp:xyzmailsvr.xyz.com
>
> I added the following to the /etc/mail/virtusertable:
> lester at xyz.com      lester at abc.com  (which should send
> the email to lester at abc.com)
>
> I then tried to send an email to lester at xyz.com and
> received the following:
> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
> errors -----
> <lester at xyz.com>
>     (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error)

> 553 5.3.5 xyzmailsvr.xyz.com. config error: mail loops
> back to me (MX
> problem?)
> 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error
>
> I must be missing something.  thanks.

Do you have abc.com and xyz.com in your /etc/mail/local-host-names or
/etc/mail/relay-domains?  They should be in relay-domains.  Also, make sure
you hashed your virtusertable to db.

You will need to restart sendmail to read the relay-domains after
modification.

Mike