MailScanner not working after Perl upgrade to 5.8.5

Michael Keightley mk at quadstone.com
Tue Nov 9 12:04:39 GMT 2004

We run MailScanner-4.34.4 on Solaris 9 with SpamAssassin-3.0.1.
Our Perl installation (5.6.1) was a bit of a mess here, so I decided to start
again from fresh with 5.8.5.  This came as a Solaris package from
Sunfreeware.com.
I installed all the modules listed below that seemed to be relevant to
MailScanner, then swapped over the version of Perl from 5.6.1 to 5.8.5.
MailScanner started up OK, but it didn't seem to actually process any of the
mail.  I got of these messages in the maillog:
MailScanner[16017]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.34.4 starting...

but that was it.  I tried disabling SpamAssassin, but still no joy.
I had to change back to Perl 5.6.1.  #

Anyone one got any ideas?  How do I go about debugging this?

Modules installed:

Archive-Zip-1.14
Compress-Zlib-1.33
Convert-TNEF-0.17
ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.05
File-Spec-0.90
File-Temp-0.14
HTML-Parser-3.36
HTML-Tagset-3.03
IO-stringy-2.109
MIME-Base64-3.05
MIME-tools-5.415
Net-CIDR-0.10
TimeDate-1.16

Digest-MD5-2.33
Digest-SHA1-2.10
Mail-ClamAV-0.12
Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.1

Thanks,
Michael
--
Michael Keightley <Michael.Keightley at quadstone.com>    Tel: +44 131 240 3137
Systems Manager, Quadstone Limited,                    Fax: +44 131 220 4492