Mail server backlogging - seems like a Bayes problem

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon Nov 8 16:06:12 GMT 2004

At 11:50 AM 11/7/2004, Mike Tremaine wrote:
> > --------------------------------
> > In the short term, you can help by running a sa-learn --force-expire on
> > your bayes DB.
> >
> > In the longer term, here's some suggestions I use on my own MailScanner
> > server: (I use all of these together)
> >
> > 1) Increase the spamassassin timeout in MailScanner.conf. Bring it to 60
> > seconds at least, I have mine set to 120.
> >
> > 2) Set the "Rebuild Bayes Every" parameter in MailScanner.conf. 86400
> > seconds is a good start. This makes MailScanner invoke SA's bayes
> > housekeeping directly, rather than during a scan of a message.
> >
> > 3) in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf set: bayes_auto_expire 0. This will
> > keep SA from trying to run bayes expires (long and slow) during message
> > handling, but relies on #2 above to allow expiry to occur.
> >
> > 4) I also have a sa-learn --force-expire running as a daily cronjob. I have
> > tested the setup without this measure, and #2 is sufficient to cause expiry
> > to occur. Really this is just a fail-safe to allow expiry to occur even if
> > MailScanner's calls fail to run it properly for some reason.
>
>Have you tested this setup under SA 3.0.1? The reason I ask is I used
>this advise to configure a MailScanner Gateway that I was having a lot
>of timeouts with [200-300] and it worked great.

No, i have not tested under SA 3.0.1, I'm still currently on 2.64 but will
probably upgrade to the 3.x family once 3.0.2 is out.

However, I can tell you you're going to have to manually disable the AWL in
your local.cf or spam.assassin.prefs.conf if you don't want to use it with
SA 3.x. The MailScanner.conf option doesn't seem to work for 3.0 yet, and
Julian is aware of it and working on it.