4.35.11: more phony phishing phailures

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Fri Nov 5 21:02:44 GMT 2004

Julian,

I just got a complaint about this from in-house, where the guy
has our URL in his signature, and he uses HTML email.  The snippet
from his HTML email is:

The syslog from MailScanner said:

MailScanner[7142]: Found phishing fraud from www.colby.edu claiming to be www.colby.edu<br><br>

I suppose the extra br's at the end fouled things up.  Or maybe the
trailing slash at the end of the URL?  Something to contemplate.
Boy, I sure wish the msg id could appear in syslog output...

BTW, I just discovered that the default for Eudora 6.1 is both plain and
html text (they call it "styled text").  Yuck, I hate HTML email.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College