Off Topic: Eudora connection time outs

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 1 20:27:22 GMT 2004

    [ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-2" character set. ]

Marcin Ro¿ek wrote:

> Tom Combs wrote:
>
>>  I've just upgraded to a new email server and now Eudora clients are
>>  getting 10060 connection time out errors on a regular bases. I see
>>  no sendmail, imap, pop or OS errors and the system isn't even breaking
>>  a sweat with the load staying under 1.0. I've check the Advanced
>> network
>>  settings in Eudora and the time outs are set to 300 and the buffer size
>>  is set to 4096.
>
> Perhaps you block(drop) connections on port 113 (ident). If that's the
> case then try to reject them instead of drop.

Yes. On your Windows clients, set the Windows firewall to allow in port
113 queries. The difference is this:
When you block port 113, Windows just drops the packets and the ident
check done by the server has to timeout.
When you accept port 113 (but run no identd on the Windows boxes),
Windows rejects the 113 connections immediately, so the server doesn't
have to wait for a response.

I often have to do this on our Windows clients.

--
Julian Field