Bagle-Au - Perhaps we should not be so smug?

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Mon Nov 1 07:43:25 GMT 2004

Julian

I am running MS-4.35.5-1 (BETA) with SA 3.0.1 on one of our 8 mail
gateways. This and the other gateways use both Sophos and McAfee A-V
engines.

When I checked the logs for the Bagle-AU virus this morning I found that
on the 4.35.5-1 system _only_ of the 8 gateways, the logs show
MailScanner + Sophos finding the Bagle-AU virus mutiple times in the
_same_ message; that is it has the same Sendmail queue ID.

It appears that MailSanner is not removing some Bagle-infected messages
from "mqueue.in". Some messages have been (re-)scanned 320+ times since
early this morning.

The problem seems to have started on Saturday although we have been
detecting the virus since at least midday Friday with Sophos. We have
Sophos IDE 386.200411010710 currently in use.

I have restarted MailScanner but that has no effect. Am investigating
further.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.