Auto marking mail to nonexistent email address as spam

Jan-Peter Koopmann Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE
Sat May 29 12:08:20 IST 2004

On Saturday, May 29, 2004 10:55 AM David While wrote:

> I use milter-ahead (www.snert.com) in sendmail which does a
> look ahead to see if the user exists. If not it is rejected
> at my MS gateway by sendmail before MS ever gets it.

If I understand milter-ahead correctly this will not help you with Exchange. Neither will recipient_verify in Exim. Exchange will accept all localparts for valid domains. Microsoft's way of handling this is to send bounces. There is no standard way to block mail to nonexistent users in any Exchange version (including 2003).

Regards,
  JP