Virus scanning spam

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 28 01:53:14 IST 2004

I need to look at the whole area of handling a quarantine of virus-checked
spam files. And control over the order of virus-scanning vs. spam
-scanning. If the virus checking was done first, you could delete the
message before the spam scanning code got it, wihch would mean you could
then only archive uninfected messages for example.

This isn't as easy to do as maybe it should be, I never considered needing
to reverse the order when I designed the code architecture in the first place.

It would be even better if it could perhaps automatically switch order
depending on the current trend in email state. So normally it could run in
spam-then-virus order, but then detect a rise in the number of viruses and
switch to virus-then-spam order for extra speed during a large outbreak.
Normally spam-then-virus is faster if you delete or quarantine raw spam, as
you avoid virus scanning it altogether.

This isn't going to happen this week or any time soon like that, I need to
have a long think first to get the architecture right.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk