caching name server

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu May 27 16:22:12 IST 2004

At 09:08 AM 5/27/2004, Casanova, Chase wrote:
>When setting up the resolv.conf do I get rid of the nameservers that I
>already have listed and replace them with 127.0.0.1?  If I do that how
>will my server know where to look for names to fill its cache?

A caching nameserver should work one of two ways:
         1) it works as a "normal" resolving dns server. In which case it
uses the hint file to tell it where the root DNS servers are.
         2) it works as a "forwarding" dns server, in which case it
forwards all requests not in the cache to a DNS server you specify.

Generally, most people go with 1) for a SA box. Most DNS packages come with
a working hint file so you shouldn't need to do much of anything here.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk