Strange behaviour : sloooww processing (bayes problem?)

Eelco Wesemann eelco at NETNATION.NL
Thu May 27 08:27:00 IST 2004

Eelco Wesemann wrote:
> No sollution, but a "same here". I've had similar behavour on my setup:
> sendmail+clamav+sa.
> When running MS and SA in debug mode, I noticed that around 50% to 80%
> of the
> processing time was spent on obtaining a lock on the bayes database.
>
> My setup:
> debian unstable, kernel 2.6.5
> sendmail-8.12.11
> MailScanner-4.30.3
> clamav-0.71
> spamassassin-2.63
>
> Max SpamAssassin Size = 30000
> Max Unscanned Bytes Per Scan = 100000000
> Max Unsafe Bytes Per Scan = 50000000
> Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan = 40
> Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 40
> Max Normal Queue Size = 2000

[snip]

> Would putting the bayes dirs in tmpfs increase the speed of the locking
> of the
> bayes-databases by SA?

To answer my own question like some others did as well: yes
I just tried putting my bayes in tmpfs, and in debug mode I haven't seen
any slowdowns or timeouts so far.
Now to plug in some extra memory just to be safe.

> Regards,
>
> Eelco
>
> Robert Mena wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I replaced my exim+rav setup sunday with a
>> exim+ms+clamav+sa.  Everything was ok, the load was
>> higher but the flow of the messages seemed smooth.
>>
>> Today I've noticed that the exim.in queue grew up to
>> 8000 messages.  In the two previous days it never
>> exceeded 500.  The out queue was higher yesterday (up
>> to 10K messages) despite the smoother behaviour so It
>> does not seem an attack or increased volume of
>> incoming spam.
>>
>> After I've switched off the spamassassin (still
>> mailscanner + clamav) the exim.in queue went from 8K
>> to 0 in a matter of minutes.
>>
>> Any ideas ?

Try putting your bayes databases in tmpfs :)

[snip]

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Eelco Wesemann