PDF Woes

Karl Bailey karl.bailey at LANDMARK-INFORMATION.CO.UK
Wed May 26 17:09:08 IST 2004

Looking at the flat email in a mail file the PDF is not actually being
signed, the signature is being attached to the mail correctly. The PDF's
file size doesn't change, the only thing that seems to change is the
fact that LF & CR are changed.

The version I'm using is:
mailscanner-4.29.7-1

Regards
Karl

PS: sorry about the html... Bl**dy gui's.....

________________________________

Behalf Of Karl Bailey
Sent: 26 May 2004 16:31
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: PDF Woes

Guys,

I'm having a very frustrating problem. We run a production process that
uses mutt to mail PDF's to customers. Now I know mutt has some known
issues with PDF's, but, the problems introduced are compounded by adding
a signature to the email after scanning using MailScanner. The footer
seems to cause the PDF to corrupt to the point it is unusable in SOME
CASES. I know this is to do with the fact that mutt uses
quoted-printable content transfer encoding cos if I use mutt
interactivly & force the encoding type to base64 then everything works..
attach from the command line & it all corrupts.

Now the mailscanner part:

If I remove the footer (but still scan the file as normal) the pdf
remains "usable" (if a little corrupt)... If I add the footer inline
then it corrupts further to the point that when adobe rebuild the pdf it
loses data etc. Looking at the physical mail file it looks like when the
footer is added LF & CR are added / changed. We do not want to lose the
footer... is there a way that we can work round the problem by maybe
attaching the footer instead of putting it inline, is there an option
for the inline signature to be placed onto the mail as an attachment? If
not is there any plans to add in this function? Has anybody else had
expiriences such as these & if so how did you overcome them... Any help
would be good.

Regards
Karl
=====================================
This email and any files transmitted
with it are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed.

If you have received this email in error
please notify Landmark Information Group
on +44(0) 1392 441700.

For more information about the Landmark
Information Group visit
www.landmark-information.co.uk