don't quarantine silent viruses?

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Wed May 26 10:40:12 IST 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, John Wilcock wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:55:40 +0200, Marcin Rozek wrote:
> > about 98% of e-mails that stays in our quarantine are copies of netsky/bagle/etc
> > - could you please add an option to mailscanner "Don't quarantine silent
> > viruses"? That would save a lot of disk-space.
>
> This can already be done with a ruleset (search the archives) but I
> agree that this would be such a useful function that it might be worth
> an option of its own.

<just-a-thought>
I agree with the above idea, but question its "another option" solution.

Consider the wider picture of MailScanner.conf overall, and the number of
questions on this list whose answer contains "with a ruleset".  Perhaps we
need to push rulesets a bit more, and have some default functionality
actually using real rulesets.

If we agree that that this particular item ("Don't quarantine silent
viruses") would be a useful default, then rather than yet another option,
perhaps the answer might be to for the default to become "use this
ruleset", and for the default ruleset to implement "Don't quarantine
silent viruses".

Using real rulesets in the default configuration, with real examples,
would:
1. bring rulesets to the attention of people who don't know about them;
2. give confidence to those who are timid about starting to use them;
3. demonstrate the preferred "xxx.rules" naming;
4. etc.
</just-a-thought>

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk