Figured it out [was Outgoing Mail Queue]

Alex Neuman alex at NKPANAMA.COM
Sat May 22 15:04:58 IST 2004

I've used Red Hat for all my installations, from Red Hat 7.1 to Fedora 2.
MailScanner works like a charm. Without exceptions.

One thing I've always recommended, regardless of OS (Windows, Linux, even
Novell) is to reinstall everything from scratch. Don't take me wrong... I
respect all of those people out there who design, develop and code
routines that allow you to upgrade, say, Red Hat 8.0 to Fedora Core 1.
It's just that they don't know *what* I've done to that machine after the
stock install - and they shouldn't have to.

The key to getting it to work properly the first time is to understand
that Julian has *no way* of knowing what's inside your machine, or what
particular name you've used for your mail queues. As long as you don't
stray from the standard, it should work "out of the box" almost 100% of
the time.

The other key is to read... read... read... Everywhere. This list, Google,
other lists (for all the plugins and AV engines), maq's, faq's, docs, etc.
You'll probably find clues to help yourself there.

In any case, I'm sure migrating to or away from Red Hat is not going to
solve any problems - in fact, since you're used to certain things being in
certain places, it might be a little awkward at first. Ever try using
Solaris after a few months of not using it? Sorta the same. Like a bike,
you never really forget, but there's always a few seconds of awkwardness.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk