Consistency improvement of %org-name%

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Fri May 21 15:28:36 IST 2004

Once upon a time, way back in the early days of MailScanner, the headers
it inserted had names of the form:
etc.

It then became apparent that it would be good practice to tailor these to
each site.  Thus "%org-name%" was introduced into "MailScanner.conf",
coupled with default values that used it:
   X-%org-name%-MailScanner:
   X-%org-name%-MailScanner-SpamCheck:

So sites following this recommended good practice automatically do the
"Right Thing" with simply a single adjustment in the "MailScanner.conf"
that defines "%org-name%" (the "Mail Header").

But the files (e.g. "sender.spam.report.txt") in the "reports/*"
directories still (version 4.30.3) begin:
   From: "MailScanner" <$localpostmaster>
   To: $from
   Subject: {Bounce} Unsolicited commercial email rejected

Note that last line.  Could these "reports/*/*.txt" files be re-written
to use a similar default mechanism?  Something along the lines of:
   X-$orgname-MailScanner:
or:
   $mailheader:
(give or take some syntactic sugar).  I suppose this might entail some
code adjustment, but I suspect this would be minor.

Then the emails (relatively few) generated from within MailScanner
automatically by default become consistent with those (the many) that pass
through.

Julian:  It's probably the sort of thing that you could do quicker than
any of the rest of us because of your deep knowledge of the (your!) code.
But if you want me to take a preliminary look, let me know.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk