Spamassassin refuses to auto-learn!

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue May 18 17:46:07 IST 2004

At 11:40 AM 5/18/2004, Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
>I understand what you are saying, but I don't know how to do it.  I seen
>the user_prefs file and everything was commented out (which I'm assuming
>is right).  So I don't quite understand that file.

That's just an example file placed there so you're aware of it.

user_prefs is used to over-ride default settings, so it's perfectly
acceptable for it to be empty or have everything commented out.

However, in your case, you want a bayes_path in that file which matches the
bayes_path in /etc/MailScanner/spam.assasssin.prefs.conf

>Do I copy the user_prefs file to /etc/MailScanner?  I'm not sure
>here....

No.. user_prefs has nothing to do with MailScanner, so don't put it there.

Instead I'd suggest doing the opposite and copy your MailScanner settings
into your user_prefs.. specifically:

cp /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf /root/.spamassassin/user_prefs

This way your MailScanner settings will now be copied over and used
whenever root calls spamassassin directly outside of MailScanner.

Two different systems, using two different configfiles, and you want them
to have bayes settings which are same so that you can use both and get the
same data.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk