OT: Sendmail LDAP Routing - failure

James Gray james_gray at OCS.COM
Sun May 16 00:10:06 IST 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 17:02, Kevin Spicer wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 03:19, James Gray wrote:
> > Hi All (and Kevin Spicer specifically),
> >
> > I am trying to implement the LDAP_ROUTE_FILE feature as detailed in
> > Kevin's documentation at
> > http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/270.html
> >
> > I'm not sure where I'm screwing up, but after making all the changes in
> > /etc/mail, then restarting sendmail, everything is rejected as "Unknown
> > User" - eek.
>
> That happens when it tries to deliver mail that should be forwarded
> according to the mailhost file to the local machine.  Have you
> definately got the right data in /etc/mail/mailhost
> user at domain.com mailserver.com

Yes - checked that.  On a side note, the VB script grabs all e-mail
addresses from our AD, even disabled accounts.  I've asked one of the
admins here to  write a similar script to grab only the disabled
accounts so I can shove those addresses into the virtusertable as
"user at foo.com    550 Elvis has left the building" or something.  I'll
publish that if we ever get it working :)

> Did youi build the mailhost db with
> makemap hash /etc/mail/mailhost < /etc/mail/mailhost
> (although the supplied script should do that automatically)

Correct - that perl script you wrote is fantastic and I've wrapped that
up into the cron job that should automate the whole thing.  Thank you
for the script - saved me a lot of work.

> Does your version of sendmail actually support LDAP routing?
> I think....
> /usr/lib/sendmail -bt -d0.10 < /dev/null | grep LDAP
> mine shows both LDAPMAP and USE_LDAP_INIT (I'm not sure USE_LDAP_INIT is
> required but I'll bet LDAPMAP is), if yours doesn't show this then a
> recompile of sendmail is probably in order.

To quote Homer J Simpson; "DOH!".  Don't I feel silly :-/  You are most
correct - recompile is in order.

mailscanner# /usr/local/sbin/sendmail -bt -d0.10 < /dev/null
Version 8.12.10
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING
                SCANF TCPWRAPPERS USERDB XDEBUG
    OS Defines: BSD4_4_SOCKADDR HASFCHOWN HASFCHMOD HASFLOCK
                HASGETDTABLESIZE HASGETUSERSHELL HASINITGROUPS HASLSTAT
                HASNICE HASRANDOM HASRRESVPORT HASSETLOGIN HASSETREUID
                HASSETRLIMIT HASSETSID HASSETUSERCONTEXT HASSETVBUF
                HAS_ST_GEN HASSRANDOMDEV HASURANDOMDEV HASSTRERROR
                HASUNAME HASUNSETENV HASWAITPID IDENTPROTO IP_SRCROUTE
                LOCK_ON_OPEN SAFENFSPATHCONF USE_DOUBLE_FORK USESETEUID
                USESYSCTL

I'll schedule a recompile and try again.  Thanks for the pointer.

Regards,

James

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk