How to do Bayes

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Thu May 13 15:35:44 IST 2004

I am trying to get bayes running, this is my first time so I don't know
exactly what I am doing.  I have tried the following things and I don't
know what to do next.  Any help is appreciated because I just don't want
to dig in and break something.

- I have looked in the manual and not been successful
- http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/98.html
- http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/#whatisbayes
- http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/103.html
(results                below for this one)

COMMAND: spamassassin -D --lint
RETURNS:
debug: bayes: DB_File module not installed, cannot use Bayes

My first guess is to install the DB_File module.  I have found that
here:
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/DB_File/
Its almost obvious that I need to install this, do I and what version
should I use?

COMMAND: check_bayes_db
RETURNS:
[root at MailScanner tools]# perl check_bayes_db
check_bayes_db is deprecated.  Please use 'sa-learn --dump'!
saUse of uninitialized value in numeric lt (<) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
/Mail/SpamAssassin/BayesStore.pm line 1284.
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: bayes db version
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: nham
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: ntokens
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: oldest atime
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: current
scan-count
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: last expiry
atime

COMMAND: sa-learn --dump
RETURNS:

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk