REJECT mail from nobody

James R. Stevens jstevens at ATHENSDISTRIBUTING.COM
Wed May 12 21:17:06 IST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff A. Earickson [mailto:jaearick at colby.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 2:30 PM
To: James R. Stevens
OK,

All the mail with from=<> was relayed by localhost 127.0.0.1  How about
I take that out of the /etc/access db. I should still relay by local LAN
subnet and anything coming to my domain (Remember this is a SMTP
gateway-No local users)

Is this a viable solution, anyone see issues with it?
--------

Subject: Re: REJECT mail from nobody

Hi,
   While messing with null emails may be bad, you *can* use procmail to
snag doublebounces that come back and bug you (the postmaster). Here is
my procmail rule:

DOUBLE=/var/mail/d/doublebounce
#---double bounce notifications
:0
* ^From:.*Mail Delivery Subsystem
{
    :0
    * ^To:.*doublebounce at colby.edu
    $DOUBLE

Note that I am snagging complaints from "Mail Delivery Subsystem", not
"<>" but stuff to "Mail Delivery Subsystem" is generally the result of
null email bounces.  I deliver this stuff to an alternate mailbox and
deal with it at my convenience.

The other piece to this is the addition of the following to your
sendmail rules:

O DoubleBounceAddress=doublebounce

See the Bat book for details.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College

On Wed, 12 May 2004, James R. Stevens wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:06:18 -0500
> From: James R. Stevens <jstevens at ATHENSDISTRIBUTING.COM>
> To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
> Subject: REJECT mail from nobody
>
> All,
>
> I have read we can't reject mail using the Sendmail hash database
> using <>@ becuse thats a null value, so I'm looking for the best way
> to reject mail without a from address ("from=<>"). I'm looking at one
> of the rulesets, SA or Mailscanner.
>
> Mabye a perl expression :    From:    /[\<\>\@$/
>
> I could not find the answer in the archives. There maybe a better way,

> I'm sure my syntax is wrong above...Help
>
> Setup=
> RH 9
> SendMail 8.12.8
> MailScanner 4.29
> SpamAssassin 2.63
> This is an SMTP gateway, so all mail is destined (Relayed ) to another

> Mail server (Exchange).

dangerous content by Athens Hyperion Scanner, and is
believed to be clean.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk