MailScanner & Hyper threading

pn1013 david at PLATFORMHOSTING.COM
Wed May 12 15:14:25 IST 2004

Hi All,

We have a MailScanner box which seems to be cursed, it’s a hyper threading
Pentium 4 processor box with 1 gig of ram and 7200RPM disks.  The problem
we’re seeing is that it doesn’t seem to be able to process much more than
5000 messages per day without having huge backlogs on the inbound queue
regardless of what we do.

Here’s the config:

Sendmail 8.12.x
DCC
Razor
Spamassassin 2.63
RBL’s enabled
Local Caching Nameserver
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming in tmpfs
/tmp in tmpfs
Bayes DB's are held in TMPFS & backed up to disk regularly in case of
reboot.

The config is identical software wise to all of our other boxes but we just
can't seem to get the box processing mail like the others which happily
process up to 20k each with load averages rarely above 2 and mqueue.in very
rarely backing up.

We've recently swapped the hard drives out with entirely different brands
etc and we've also tried moving from RedHat 9 to Suse Enterprise, then to
RedHat Enterprise, but none of these have fixed the issues.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?  Do you have any pointers?  I'm
almost 100% certain it's hardware but I need to prove it's not MailScanner
or any of it's attached software.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

David Hooton